Sunday, September 16, 2012

Religion of Atheism

I have read God Delusion. It's a really stupid book. I can hear Richard Dawkins bursting by the joy of his own "wittiness", and all I do is to shake my head and feel sorry for him. He hasn't really understood why people believe in God at all, so all his arguments are flawed before he even expresses them. He's mostly arguing against an imaginary enemy, who is really very stupid. I know, I know, there are people like that, but it's rather irritating to be a theist and excitedly read a book that is said to make you question your beliefs, so sharp, so smart, so intelligent, so to the point - by other Atheists - and then read this... pitifully stupid scripture... tut, tut, tut.
No, I don't understand why the book is so appreciated. I suppose none of the people who praise it, understand the mind of a theist.

Today I read a typical rant of an islamophob. "they say all these things, but are lying bla bla bla." Really stupid, that too. And it was posted in a Facebook group called "The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science (Official)" [I love that (official) :-D]

"Oh, "The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science (Official)"... I wonder how it is?"

Oh, my... Exactly as I expected it to be, I'm sad to say. People worshiping their guru, who's basking in the limelight and people expressing their fundamentalist Atheist opinions more or less eloquently.

Here's one post: 
Be proud your an athiest it means you understand that people who have faith in something like a god also have to asked who created him and who created the one who creatwd god and the list goes on and on into a number you cannot imagine which means such people are so deluded and fooled by mystical claims they have nothing to offer mankinds progress in mind science. indeed they are a danger to slow down progress if they get to the future generations of childrens minds which they are attempting now.
The mind can be got at by certain practises certain ways so the quest of all athiests is to point out to all got at individuals who are ignorant the facts of past present and every increasing observations and experiments that give answers to the mysterys of life, Also to support efforts to rid our governments of religions and not involve them in politics thats all we can do the rest will come in time and we will have a world maybe not in our time but in the future that is free from religion and its wars and continuing progression and dam right right exciting however we can at least watch our numbers grow and grow.
No change is impossable in the democratic countrys with the right numbers supporting it so I guess certain things must not be allowed in schools only facts and relivent infoirmation to a childs growing mind. Its a big ask but time has a way of changing nonesense into education born of common sense and reasoning, If this is to happen we need athiests in government in schools and in the community and proud and sure of themselves and what they pass on so are you a proud athiest ?
 Now, the person writing this is aware of that his spelling and writing is not very good, and that's ok. People should be able to express themselves even when they do it like this. One can have little education, or be operating under brain fog, or for any other reason, but it is very irritating. And easy to start mocking him for his spelling errors...

People who believe in God, have no problems in accepting God as The Source, uncreated. That God has always been and will always be. I find it interesting that you don't understand this.

"which means such people are so deluded and fooled by mystical claims they have nothing to offer mankinds progress in mind science"

Frankly, I don't know what you are trying to say, but I assume you are saying theists have nothing to offer in the world of science.
If that's so, I'm a bit puzzled... because most of the scientists before 20th century were theists. Like Newton or Darwin or von Linné. To say they didn't add anything to the world's scientific evolution simply because they believed there is a divine reason for why things happen, is stupid. Simply stupid.

You are making the mistake of believing that one's spiritual beliefs are in any way connected to one's scientific beliefs, and thus making the same mistake as all the fundamentalists, like fundamentalist Christians. To you "theist=bad", to them "atheist=bad". You are both equally wrong, both equally narrow-minded, both equally stupid, ignorant, prejudiced and fundamentalist.

I don't think any person who could be of any use to science can be brainwashed in such a manner, even when objected to that as a child. And it doesn't matter if the person is brainwashed by theist fundies or atheist fundies. Stupid, narrow-minded, ignorant, prejudiced fundamentalists seldom have ANYTHING worthy to add to anything. What have you added to world? Or what has Richard Dawkins added to the world? Memes and "God Delusion"? Neither his own idea.

The fundamentalist atheism IS a religion. Any fundamentalist ideology is a religion. Most wars have nothing to do with God.

"...so I guess certain things must not be allowed in schools only facts and relivent infoirmation"
Yeah... let's remove such nasty things like art and crafts, sports, domestic "science" and other such things that are not "facts and relivent infoirmation". Why bother teaching children to read and write, they'd only be reading fiction and that's bad! And teaching them literature, especially the ancient literature... myths and legends... dang, that's the source of everything bad in the world! Or teaching them about religions! No! We cannot tell the sensitive kids that there are people in the world who BELIEVE IN GOD(s)!!! They might get ideas!

Oh, dear. I'm glad I'm not a "proud athiest", but a foolish theist and an artist. I suppose it's good I don't have children, because I'd teach them such horrible things as watching the nature and seeing beauty and not numbers and facts. I'd teach them to cook without telling them about the optimal temperature for proteins to coagulate, and I'd teach them that there's more in the world than what can be measured...

Then there was this:
I love philosoraptor. She's witty and funny with his innocent inquiries, that aren't really innocent at all. But this is just stupid. It's assuming the atheists make the most convincing arguments. They don't. Especially not if they are anything like those Richard Dawkins uses.
It's also assuming this is a novel idea. The fundamental Christians these fundamental Atheists fight with, already  have an answer to that. "God didn't make Atheists, Atheists are people who believe Satan's lies and deception. Atheists are brainwashed, poor creatures. They don't know how wrong they are, but one day, God willing, they will see the light and realize how deceived they were, and fall on their knees and thank God for being saved and beg for forgiveness for all the Satanic lies and filth they were spreading when "under influence"... "
So - this is just stupid, and offensive, because I want my philosoraptor to be witty, and this is below her intelligence.

""so the muslim riots that are going on have been caused because of a film that portrays mohammud as a barbaric pedophille. last time i read the koran he was a warlord that spread the faith of islam by the sword and had multiple underage wives"

1) Let us assume the Quran says much about Mohammed being "a warlord that spread the faith of Islam by the sword and had multiple underage wives". So you believe Quran is crap, but THAT you believe?
2) Define pedofile. Define pedofile in Arab world 1400 years ago. Define "underage" - also in Arab world 1400 years ago. Define "barbaric". In Arab world 1400 years ago.
3) Tell me, why do you care about Mohammed at all? Why do you even bother reading the Quran? You think it's crap. Life is too short to read bad books.
WHY THE HECK WOULD ANYONE NON-MUSLIM BOTHER MAKING MOVIES OF MOHAMMED IN THE FIRST PLACE?
You KNOW it's prejudiced crap, you KNOW the people responsible for it are islamophobic idiots, and you take their side! You hate religions more than you love human and civil rights and freedoms! You are just another religious fundamentalist. They use physical violence to express their feelings and opinions, you use sarcasm and other forms of verbal violence, and believe to be better, more civilized person.

Darling, a world where people may not believe ANYTHING they want to, how ever stupid, mislead or false it ever seems to be to someone else, is called Theocracy, and NO; WE DO NOT WANT IT. Even when YOU are convinced of that YOUR religion is the best and enough for the rest of the world, and based on reasoning and sound thinking and what ever you happen to believe is The Truth, and even though the majority of the world holds the same belief... because, don't fool yourself and think your belief is "better" or "more valid" than another, just because you believe in science.

4 comments:

Thesauros said...

"People who believe in God, have no problems in accepting God as The Source, uncreated. That God has always been and will always be. I find it interesting that you don't understand this."

I know. Atheists can't see the absurdity in asking:
"So who created this eternal being?"
OR
"So when did this eternal being begin to exist?"

They don't realise that it's one or the other:
. Either matter has always existed (it's eternal) and we know from infinite regress that it can't be
OR
. The Creator of matter is eternal.

It's one or the other and it's not the former.

Of course Dawkins is the one who, I think it's in the God Delusion, refuses to categorically deny that real fairies live at the bottom of his garden.

What a Prima dona!

Anyhow, good luck on your journey.

May Truth reveal Himself to you.

World of Facts said...

Ah this is the post that brought you to Thesauros' blog Ketutar... Interesting!

I have never read the God Delusion myself but I am certain that your conclusion are wrong, or at least they are not universal for sure. There are lots of people who were touched by this book. They were believers, usually uncertain about their faith, and found in the book a different way to look at things.

Anyway, as I said I did not read it so I should not comment about something I don't know... but what I do know though is this: Atheism is NOT a religion. I am thus just as annoyed by Atheists who are proud of their Atheism than you. These people do make Atheism look like a religion...

By the way, it's interesting to see that you are also a very 'mixed' couple. My situation is similar: I am an Atheist Québécois (French Canadian) while my fiancée is a Bengali Hindu (Indian) and we now live in the USA :-)

Take care

Ketutar said...

Hi, Hugo :-)

Nice to meet you :-) Yes, your situation is very similar :-D I hope you live in an area where the fundamentalist Christian community isn't very vocal.

I'm sure some of my conclusions are wrong :-D I'm also sure of that my ideas are not universal. I talk only for myself, and I know I'm full of sh*t and know nothing. :-)

I know Atheism is not a religion.
I am talking about the people who have made it their religion, and with religion I mean a set of beliefs one is so convinced to be absolute true so that oen is prepared to do a lot to defend these beliefs. There is no spiritual aspect in my definition of religion, no need for a supreme entity or belief in anything supernatural.
As there is no verifyiable evidence of the non-existence of God, believing that there is no God is just as irrational as believing there is God. I am more of an agnostic - as my husband - one cannot say if there is God or not. But I prefer to have a God, so I have a God. :-D I am very aware of that I have created my own God, even though I am not sure whether God made me do it :-D
In my mind the whole question of whether there is God or not, how many and what they might be like, is purely rhetorical. I have no problems in understanding the Atheist way of thinking, the Monotheist way of thinking, the Polytheist way of thinking or the Pantheist way of thinking, because the world is... an obedient place and adjusts itself to any mindset :-D

Ketutar said...

But I can understand it is very annoying to witness people defining themselves as belonging to the same group you do, and acting like idiots. Being a Pagan... er... I assume we don't have even the excuse of the habit of generations for acting like idiots :-D

I wonder what you would make of "God Delusion"...

I know it's a cult book, and has changed many lives. So has "The Secret" and "New Earth". None of them has given me the... let's say, spiritual awakening so many people are talking about. To me Terry Pratchett's Fifth Elephant was more spiritual and enrapturing experience.
But whereas "The Secret" and "New Earth" are "New Age" "crap", "God Delusion" is supposedly a serious, psychological and sociological essay, in lack of better word, but what it is is just rantings of a... believer. Richard Dawkins is discussing with and about an imaginary opposer, the "believer", based on mainly fundamentalist Christians with a very limited understanding of even their own religion, faith and God, and using the obvious ignorance, stupidity and questionable argumentation skills packed with logical errors of these people, to prove that all theists are idiots. By doing so he is committing the very same "sins", and makes himself the mirror image of a fool... He is taking something very human and pinpointing it as something only theists possess, and thus draws oversimplified and very, very wrong conclusions, of that a world without God would be a place with no wars, bigotry and abuse of human rights.
I think of all the hundreds of feminists who claim that if women were in power, the world would be a place with no wars, bigotry and abuse of human rights... :->
Or Christians, who say, if the whole world was Christian, there would be no wars, bigotry... You get the point. The God Delusion is a "bible" of the religion of Atheism.

I can understand that if the ideas presented in the book ARE new to one, it is a very shaking experience, and I can see how people react to it. But I have thought much of the same things, I have been annoyed by the same behavior, the same thinking - or lack of it - I have been arguing with the very same people - AND I AM A THEIST! I even agree with some of the thoughts - that's why I am not Christian, and why I believed I was an atheist when I was about 20. But the book is written on the thesis that ALL theists are fundamentalist idiots with no understanding or appreciation of science, no tolerance, not much intelligence or ability to independent, logical, rational thinking. That we are all sheep, an irrational, unreasonable, emotional, oversensitive... oh, dear. That we are all "women"... Nothing to take seriously, something to pity, mock, despise, and get annoyed when we don't have the decency to stay in our place, hidden behind the walls of a harem, kitchen, place of worship, out of way so that "Men" can do science and other important stuff.

Newton believed in astrology. Didn't stop him from being one of the greatest scientific minds of history.

I understand why so many Atheists are drawn to this. The Abrahamic fundamentalists are such a huge part of the modern Western society, and they do cause a lot of damage, not only trouble. Especially in USA. There are certain issues that are like a red flag to these people, and atheism is one such issue.

But - my red flag are the fundamentalists, no matter what their religion is. :-D
I'm sorry if I have in any way... I don't think I have offended you, but perhaps... made you sigh?
I suppose we all need to rant. I write blog entries, Richard Dawkins writes books :-D